When you want to park in a place it is necessary to know that there are different types of parking, so it is necessary to be clear when parking is prohibited in a place, in addition to knowing how to identify the parking lots. Because if; It is not done the same in all situations, and the serious thing is that we can receive large penalties for our pocket.
Parking, stop and stop, don’t forget
Frequently the no parking sign generates confusion since there are many who are unaware of the differences between stopping and parking. Although it may seem confusing, it is convenient to know them because each signal has a different meaning and purpose.
As such, the DGT establishes three situations that can occur while driving: parking, stopping and detention . However, it is true that not all people behind the wheel are clear about it and it is common, for example, to talk about being stopped at a stop sign when in reality we are stopped.
If you want to pass the driver’s license, you surely know how to distinguish these signs very well. But if your case is that you have been driving for years, it may be good for you to review them. The reason for this is none other than because we can receive quite important sanctions (and that will hurt the pocket).
What should we know
Because if; On many occasions we say that we are stopped at a traffic light when in reality we are stopped and that we are double-parked when in reality we are parked, hence the confusion… and the subsequent and consequent fine (sometimes with surprise and others not so much).
Thus, and although we always use ‘stop’ as a wild card for when the vehicle does not move, the regulations differentiate these situations in which we do not advance :
- arrest . We are stopped when the vehicle does not move due to the traffic situation. For example, at a red light, at a stop or in a traffic jam we are stopped.
- stop . We are stopped when we park the car, but this immobilization of the vehicle will be less than two minutes, for example, to pick up or drop off a passenger, load the trunk…
- Parking lot. When the vehicle is going to be parked and immobilized for more than two minutes.
In any case, we carry out one action or another, we can never do it obviously where parking or stopping is prohibited, and the excuse that we are simply stopped and inside the car is not valid either. No, any agent can fine these attitudes, and with penalties that the General Directorate of Traffic establishes up to 200 euros . They are the following.
- In places authorized by the municipal authority as parking with limited hours without placing the badge that authorizes it or when, after placing the badge, the vehicle is kept parked in excess of the maximum time allowed by the municipal ordinance.
- In marked areas for loading and unloading .
- In marked areas for the exclusive use of the disabled .
- On sidewalks, walkways and other areas intended for pedestrian crossings .
- In front of the fords marked correctly.
- In double row (article 39.2 of the articulated text).
Don’t confuse the signs
In any case, it must be clear that their signals can be misleading and that we get to confuse them. And it is that, because they are conceived to be obligatory and understandable for everyone, driving through the cities would be chaos, an almost impossible adventure with serious consequences. This is why it is vital that you differentiate, in this case, those that prohibit parking and stopping. Don’t lose sight of them!
- No parking sign. As it is a prohibition sign, it has a circular shape with a red border. A diagonal line crosses a blue background indicating a parking ban. In the case of having a white arrow in any of the blue areas, prohibit parking from that point and continue to the place indicated by the arrow. If no arrows appear inside the blue area, the parking ban is extended to that entire section of the street.
- Stopping and parking prohibited sign. It is very similar to the previous one, although it prohibits parking in the same way as stopping the car for less than 2 minutes. The difference with the no parking sign is that the blue background of the no stopping and parking sign is crossed by two crossed diagonals. As with the first, one will have a white arrow indicating the point at which the stop and park ban begins.