Yesterday there were the launches of the new Apple operating systems except for the new macOS Big Sur. However, there is a novelty of this operating system that is already present on Macs without the need for this version: Safari 14. The new version of the native browser for Macs can be installed on macOS Catalina. We tell you below how you can install it and what news it brings.
How to install Safari 14 on Mac
Actually this Safari 14 is an update of the version that already comes in macOS 10.15.16. The way to update it is very simple, going to System Preferences> Software Update . Here the new version of the browser will appear as if it were a system update. The download and subsequent installation takes really little time. As a general rule, it is not even required to restart the Mac, so it can be operational in a few seconds depending on your internet connection.
Main news in Safari 14
When you open Safari after updating it, you will find some other visual and above all functional difference. Here is a summary of the most interesting:
- The browser is now 50% faster than Google Chrome .
- Change of appearance of the bookmarks window, which now appear with smaller icons in the central part. The ability to view Siri suggestions, privacy reports, and the reading list can be configured with the right mouse button or trackpad. You can also have a background image.
- Reports can be viewed where it is specified what tracking the web pages you visit make. It is visible by clicking the shield icon that appears next to the url box.
- If there is a password stored in the keychain with Safari, it will inform us if it has been compromised, compromising our privacy.
- The translator is added in this version, being able to translate the pages quickly and easily.
- Developer tools have been improved when it comes to creating extensions . In fact, they can easily enable existing extensions in Chrome to import them into Safari. It should be noted that these are available on the Mac App Store.
It should be noted that not all the news are already available . An example of this is the translator or extensions, which has not fully arrived. Also some aesthetic details like background images are absent. This may be completed when Big Sur arrives, this being an update with privacy and security improvements focused on those Mac computers whose latest version of the system will be Catalina’s.