If we think of making calls, the first device that always comes to mind for this is the iPhone, however, it is not the only one that we can use. Through our Mac, be it a Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, or iMac, from any Apple computer, we can also make phone calls to our contacts, something that not everyone knows and that can be really useful in our day a day.
What do we need to be able to make calls from a Mac?
The most essential requirement to be able to make calls from a Mac, apart from having one, is to have an iPhone. The Mac alone does not allow us to make phone calls, however, if in addition to a Mac, within our ecosystem we also have an iPhone, things change.
Well, once we have this clear, the requirements that both our iPhone and our Mac must meet to be able to make calls from the latter are the following:
- Have signed in to iCloud, both on iPhone and Mac, with the same Apple ID.
- Have signed in to FaceTime, both on the iPhone and on the Mac, with the same Apple ID.
- Both the Mac and the iPhone have to be connected to the same network, either via Wi-Fi or via ethernet.
- On the iPhone we have to go to Settings> Phone> Calls on other devices, and activate Calls on other devices.
- On the Mac we have to go to the FaceTime app, select FaceTime> Preferences, click on Settings and then select Calls from the iPhone.
How can we make calls from a Mac?
Once we meet all the necessary requirements, it is time to take action and tell you what you have to do to make calls from your Mac.
The simplest option is the following:
- We go to the Contacts app, we look for the contact we want to call, and once we have it, we click on the Call option.
Another alternative is:
- We open the FaceTime app, enter the phone number we want to call and click on Audio to make the call.
It’s that easy and simple to make calls from our Mac, from anyone, be it a Macbook Air, a Macbook Pro or an iMac. This is a resource that not many people know but that can be really useful if we spend many hours in front of the computer. Just about this we will talk to you below.
What are the advantages of being able to make calls from a Mac?
There are many of us who spend literally all day in front of our Mac screen, most of us want the time we spend working to be as productive as possible and for this we always have to avoid distractions. One of those possible distractions can be our iPhone, because remember, our smartphone not only calls, but also all kinds of notifications, from WhatsApp or Telegram messages, to mentions on Twitter or Instagram, and these notifications can be counterproductive for our daily work.
Nowadays there are fewer and fewer occasions in which we receive a phone call, however, when this happens it is usually for a really important reason, a compelling reason that makes us break with what we are doing at that time in order to attend to the person who demands our attention. Therefore, if we configure our Mac to make and receive calls, we can leave aside that device that does not stop receiving notifications such as our iPhone and in this way, first, not be tempted to respond to one of the thousands of daily notifications And second, to know that if someone calls us for something really important, we will be able to serve them with the attention they deserve.