Anyone who has a car compatible with Android Auto will surely have asked the same question on more than one occasion: Is there a way to connect the phone to the screen without the need for cables? This, until now, was possible in some regions and now the possibility also lands here. Those yes, not all mobiles are compatible.
Until now, the requirements to use Android Auto in your vehicle were having a phone that uses Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later versions and that you have contracted a data fee, a USB cable and the Google application downloaded on the phone. And it is that, initially, Android Auto only worked through a USB connection , but in April 2018, Google launched Wireless Android Auto for Google Pixel and Nexus phones, allowing them to connect to compatible main units through Wi-Fi Direct. However, in addition to having a compatible head unit and an Android smartphone, you must also live in a country that supports Android Auto.
Spain now joins this list of countries and you can use Android Auto wirelessly whenever you have any of these phones:
- Google Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P with Android 8.0 or later versions
- Google Pixel or Pixel XL with Android 8.0 or later versions
- Google Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL with Android 8.0 or later versions,
- Google Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL with Android 8.0 or later versions
- Google Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL with Android 10.0 or later
- Samsung Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8 + with Android 9.0 or later versions
- Samsung Galaxy S9 or Galaxy S9 + with Android 9.0 or later versions
- Samsung Galaxy S10 or Galaxy S10 + with Android 9.0 or later versions
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8, Note 9 and Note 10 with Android 9.0 or later versions
- Samsung Galaxy S20 with Android 10.0
- Other models of Samsung Android 10.0
As you can see, only Samsung or Google phones are compatible with this new way of using Android in the car . Neither Huawei, Xiaomi, LG, Sony or HTC models, to name a few of the most famous brands, are compatible with Android Auto wirelessly .
Set up Android Auto wirelessly
Even if you want to use Android Auto wirelessly, at least you will need to connect it to your car with a USB cable to carry out the first configuration following the instructions on the screen. The only requirement, in addition to having one of the mobiles mentioned above, is to have the Android version Auto 4.7 or higher that you can find in the Play Store .