There is no doubt that Google Maps is an essential tool on any mobile device because it is not just a simple smart navigation system. The application developed by the great G hides inside all kinds of useful functions and one of the latest innovations is of great help to let you know when you get home.
The vast majority only use the Google service to find the route to a specific destination, but they are completely unaware that it has multiple purposes, such as finding restaurants near your location or the cheapest gas station. A platform full of options even to alert your friends if something goes wrong.
Share your location
Among the most recent features of Google Maps is the function to notify your relatives or acquaintances if you have arrived home safely or, on the other hand, to know if your friends are already in the place where you have stayed. The truth is that it is a very versatile tool that you can take advantage of in different situations and for this reason it is worth knowing the process.
Surely on more than one occasion you have met a friend, but you do not know what time you should leave so as not to arrive early or late. Thanks to this option of the Internet giant’s app, you can see your location at all times, although to do so, you must first share your location in real time :
- Open Google Maps on your iOS or Android smartphone.
- Select your profile picture in the top right.
- Tap on “Share location”.
- Again, click on the blue button that says “Share location”.
- Indicate how long you want to keep your location active and choose the people you want to provide your position to.
- Hit “Share” to get started.
Receive notifications from Google Maps
From now on, until the set time limit, you can see the other person’s location on Google Maps accompanied by their profile picture. However, to receive alerts or notifications when you reach a specific point, you must do the following:
- Tap on the marker, that is, the profile picture of the user who has shared their location with you.
- A menu will be displayed at the bottom and you must access the “Notifications” section.
- Once inside, click on “Add”. In this section it is possible to select any location, either your own or one that you have marked on the map.
- Select “Save.” Otherwise, no changes will be saved.
Without a doubt, it is a truly useful option, since it helps you to know the location of a friend who is alone on his way home to know if everything is going well or if you have to anticipate when you should go to where you have arranged your appointment. Of course, it would be best to calibrate the GPS before all this to achieve greater precision. So it is recommended that you tell everyone you know to get the most out of Google Maps and take advantage of all the tools it offers at our disposal to avoid scares.