RivaTuner Server Statistics is a super interesting option to monitor the temperatures of our components within the game. In this way, it is not necessary to have several monitors to be able to know all this information, but we can do it through the OSD of the application. In addition, we can know data such as the use of the components, the FPS, the consumption or the voltage, among others.
Long ago, it was impossible to know how hot our GPU or CPU was while playing games. However, the release of MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner Statistics fixed this problem. MSI Afterburner is a program that we will need to install in order to enjoy RivaTuner, since it works as a complement to the first one. That said, you will see that it is a very simple to use and install.
MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner Statistics, the perfect combo
MSI Afterburner is a program that has gained a lot of fame for its good performance all these years. From the beginning, its purpose was to modify settings on the graphics card , such as its memory clock, voltage, fan speed, etc. In addition, it shows us the use of the GPU, such as its temperature. In short, MSI Afterburner is a program that allows you to configure many aspects of our graphics card.
We talk about this application because we will need it to install RivaTuner Statistics , and thus monitor the temperatures of our hardware within the game.
Install MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner
To download MSI Afterburner, we have to go to its official website . We will download a ZIP file, so we open it and run the installer. You can extract it if it seems more comfortable, but it is enough to execute it.
You will see that it does not involve any added difficulty, it simply consists of hitting “next”. Afterwards, the wizard gives us the option to install RivaTuner Statistics Server (RTSS) or not.
You can do it in 2 ways:
- Install it all together in the same wizard.
- Install MSI Afterburner on the other hand and RivaTuner on the other.
We advise you to do everything together because in this way we make sure that both applications come in compatible versions. Next, you choose the path where you want to install the program and it will begin to install.
Configure MSI Afterburner
RivaTuner gives the appearance that it is a standalone program, but we have to configure it from MSI Afterburner. To do this, we will start MSI Afterburner and left click on the ” gear ” button in the central panel.
Those of you who have opted for the ” Beta ” version , the interface is different. To access the same menu you must left click on the gear, which, here, is positioned in a left sidebar.
With the new “properties” window open, we are going to go to the ” General ” tab to check that you have the following options activated. Above all, pay attention to the “Compatibility properties”.
If you had most of them disabled, click on ” Apply “. You may have to restart the program. With everything in order, we go to the “Monitoring” tab. Here, you have to pay attention to 3 main elements:
- The information refresh period . We recommend setting it to 1000 because it is constantly updated.
- The monitoring table . We have to click on the left to select it. In addition, you can choose the data provider (HWInfo, HWMonitor, AIDA64, etc.).
- Chart properties . Just below the table we have 3 options:
- Show in on-screen information (OSD). This option allows you to view the selected graphic within the game.
- Display in information on keyboard LCD device. It is an option that only works on keyboards that have a screen designed to show certain values.
- Show in systray. If we activate it, it allows us to view the temperature in the task bar.
Select the values you want to see (use, frequency, temperature, load, consumption, voltage, etc.) within the game. Then, you mark the display options you want (OSD, LCD or task bar) and, when you have finished, you click “apply”.
Finally, we only have to configure one tab in MSI Afterburner: ” Screen information “. It is right next to the “Monitoring” and we are only interested in the first 3 options . You will realize that it is a key mapping. You can leave the one that MSI has by default, or choose others.
We would have already finished configuring RivaTuner Statistics from MSI Afterburner, so be ready to monitor the temperatures of your equipment.
Configure RivaTuner Statistics
Now is the time to configure a little RivaTuner so that the information is displayed in the most comfortable way possible. Normally, RivaTuner will be minimized in the drop-down in the right corner of the taskbar; in fact, it usually starts automatically with Windows (you can disable it).
You may run RivaTuner and, in turn, the monitoring window will open in MSI Afterburner. You can close it because we have already configured what we needed. Now, it’s time to do the final RivaTuner tune-up before playing.
The interface is simple and there are no configuration menus : everything is configured from the same panel. First of all, the “Show On-Screen Display” option must be activated for it to work correctly. The other options that interest us are on the right side of the interface.
We summarize what each option is for as follows:
- Application detection level . It is the level of detection that RivaTuner will have when we open a video game. Personally, I recommend the “Low” option because it works perfectly. I have tried “Medium” and “High”, but my experience was bad: Photoshop detected as a video game and showed me all the information above.
- Stealth mode . It is a stealth mode, which I recommend not activating.
- Custom Direct3D support . It is used to support a custom Direct3D. I also recommend disabling it.
- Framerate limit . If you want to limit the number of FPS you want me to show you within the game, choose a number. It is useful for those who use monitors with limited refresh rates (60 Hz). You won’t mind that the game goes to 150 FPS, if we only have 60 Hz.
- Scanline sync . It is an interesting option to eliminate tearing without lag for screens that do not have G-Sync or FreeSync. Personally, I prefer to use vertical sync and leave this at “0”.
- On-Screen Display support . It is the OSD support, leave it activated to monitor temperatures with RivaTuner.
- On-Screen Display rendering mode . It is only the rendering of the letter or font. You can choose Vector 3D (bland option) or choose Raster 3D and the font you want.
The options shown below are related to modifying the letter: with shadow, color, zoom, etc. Finally, tell you that you can create the profiles you want, how to move the OSD so that it does not bother you while you play.
To give you a demonstration, I have chosen to show the following values:
- GPU temperature and load .
- CPU temperature and consumption .
- FPS .
Without a doubt, it is one of the best ways to monitor the temperatures of our components while we play.