What you want is to relax in your room and enjoy a few games of your favorite video game. You just have to turn on the console, take the remote control and put on the headphones, but after a while using them, the helmets start to give you problems: they run out of battery, your friends don’t listen to you or they hurt your ears. Don’t worry, these are very common problems if you have not chosen your headphones correctly to play. For you to solve this once and for all, today we are going to explain everything you need to know to choose a good gaming headset.
Why should you use gaming headphones?
This type of headphones have a number of advantages when it comes to playing that normal headphones do not have or do not perform in the best way. What are the advantages of using this type of equipment? Well, you will find several:
- In most situations they offer a greater insulation capacity than ordinary headphones. Thus, by using them, you will have a much more immersive experience.
- In many cases they have 5.1 or 7.1 sound , which helps the previous section even more and can be an advantage in competitive games.
- They integrate a microphone , which allows us to communicate with the rest of the players if we are in an online game.
- Some models are accompanied by software such as that you can configure different aspects that improve the gaming experience.
As you can imagine, not all are advantages in this type of equipment, so you may also find some disadvantages when using them:
- These headphones are usually priced higher than others for their features and design.
- If you prefer a wireless headset you will have options within the catalog but, depending on the model and the work that the brand has done with connectivity, you may notice delay in the audio . A rather negative point if you like to play shooters online.
Having seen the positive and negative points of these equipment for gamers, it is time to talk about which are the different models that we can consider when buying them.
Types of gaming headphones
When you search for this kind of hearing aids online or in physical stores, you will generally find two different types: in-ear headphones or headband headphones .
Going to discuss whether or not in-ear helmets can be considered suitable headphones to play is something that we do not want to do but, in my personal opinion, I think that: they are not so ergonomic equipment, they do not offer the same feeling of immersion nor, of course, the same degree of soundproofing. For these reasons, next, I focus on describing the different models that you are going to find of the headset type of headband.
On the other hand, within the headband headset, we will find two classes that are fundamentally different from the type of noise cancellation using: active or passive cancellation. The difference between one and the other is easy to explain and, as you can imagine, each one has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Active sound-canceling headphones : This type of cancellation isolates us more from external noise by processing this noise, as we explained in the article on the best noise-canceling headphones . By listening to fewer sounds from outside, we can focus more on the game and, therefore, get to capture details that could be a competitive advantage. An example might be being able to hear an enemy’s footsteps before you get to see him in a game like Call of Duty or Fortnite , for example. Of course, this greater cancellation causes details such as the weight or the price of the headphones to increase.
- Passive sound-canceling headphones : In this case, the isolation from external noise is less and, therefore, we will hear part of what can happen around us. The details that we can hear about the game will be less and the immersion will also decrease. On the contrary, the fidelity of the sound will increase and the weight and price of this type of hearing aid will be less. In addition, these produce less hearing fatigue if we are going to do prolonged periods playing.
How to choose good gaming headphones?
Known the types of gaming headsets and the advantages and disadvantages they entail, it is our turn to comment on the different elements that must be taken into account to choose the best option for you:
- Cable or wireless : as we have already mentioned, the presence of cable or not is something that will depend on your tastes and the type of games you are going to dedicate these headphones to. On the one hand you have the comfort of movement that bluetooth headphones give you but, on the other hand, the speed of response that allows you to reach the presence of the cable is key on some occasions.
- Autonomy : if you opt for the wireless option, another fundamental detail that you should pay attention to is the number of hours you can use them before the battery runs out. In addition, it is also essential that you know the time it takes to perform a partial or full charge.
- Weight : gaming headphones tend to be heavier the higher the technology they incorporate. If you are going to play during long sessions, you should keep this feature in mind so that they do not end up bothering you wearing them during all that time.
- With or without microphone : this section has an easy choice. If you like to play online against other users, you should opt for the one that includes a microphone because it is more than likely that you will end up using it. However, if you prefer other games in which you simply need headphones to listen to the story, you can do without this element.
- Design : something you can see at a glance is that most gaming equipment has a more “aggressive” aesthetic. If you only want headphones to play, this section may be secondary. On the other hand, if you want them for other types of situations, you should choose those with a more sober design if the aesthetics can come to mind.
- Audio adjustment knob : some models incorporate a “controller” to access certain audio features such as: microphone activation, noise cancellation, selection of surround sound modes or the volume itself. If you want quick access to these controls to avoid having to access the sound settings, this command is very useful.
These are all the details that you should take into account when choosing this type of headset . Now you must analyze well the use that you are going to give it since, as we have explained, each feature carries its positive points and other not so good details.
I already have good headphones, what can I do?
If you have already made a significant investment in other types of headphones but want to use them to play games, the fundamental element that you will surely miss is the presence of a microphone.
To solve this section you have two options: buy an external microphone , or there is an accessory that can be attached to any earpiece so that it has a microphone. Perhaps this last option will not have the sound quality, but it is an interesting option and one that can save us from a problem.