Are you playing so quietly on your PlayStation 5 and it turns off without warning ? There are several reasons why your PS5 may not be working properly. If the problem with your console begins to occur more times than necessary, we show you the most common causes that usually cause this problem. So stay and take note.
HDMI Device Link problem
The consoles are always perfect while they are in the hands of the designers, but there is a moment when all that blows up when they are released and it is the hands of the users who begin to use them . Then a huge number of circumstances take place (many of them different), uses and experiments that test the resistance of each component and whose result had not crossed the minds of the engineers who were part of the manufacturing process. This is what the famous phrase that “Paper resists everything” usually says.
And PS5, despite the fact that it is not a console that has been characterized by serious hardware problems in its first months of life, it has seen how one incident prevailed over all the others: and it is a sudden shutdown whose origin is in the HDMI connector and the whole torrent of technology that allows us to enjoy games in glorious 4K at 60fps with HDR.
One of the reasons why your PlayStation 5 might be shutting down on its own and failing is because of the HDMI Device Link . The PS5 is compatible with HDMI CEC, which means that when we turn on the console we can also turn on the television. This interoperability between devices is what is behind some sudden shutdowns that many users have reported in recent times.
HDMI Device Link matches the power state of your PlayStation 5 to that of your TV. When you turn on your TV, the PS5 also turns on. If HDMI Device Link is enabled, it can cause your PS5 to turn off without warning. Why is this happening? Well, one of the reasons is that sometimes there are Smart TV brands that support the CEC specification , but they do not make all the functions compatible, thus generating some incidents.
To solve it, we simply have to disable this function and check if the problem has been solved for us. To do this, we will do the following steps:
- In the main menu of PlayStation 5 we go to Settings> System> HDMI.
- Let’s go to the ‘ HDMI Device Link ‘ option.
- Press the ‘X’ button on the DualSense to deactivate this option.
- Now, we will check if the problem has been fixed.
Sometimes the PS5 system software can cause the console to shut down. A good way to avoid these issues is to keep your console on the latest version available . To do this, you must do the following:
- Connect your PS5 to the Internet.
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update .
- Select ‘ Update system software ‘.
- Now, check the ‘ Update via Internet ‘ option.
- Confirm the following screens and wait for the firmware to download and your console to update.
If you can’t connect your console to the Internet, you can download the latest firmware from Sony‘s official website and update the PS5 with a flash drive.
Problem caused by console sleep mode
Another fairly common problem is related to the console ‘s sleep mode. If your console turns off after going to sleep, the best thing you can do is disable it so that the problem does not occur.
To disable Sleep Mode , do the following:
- Select Settings > System > Power saving .
- Select the ‘ Time until PS5 enters rest mode ‘ option.
- Enable the option to not put the console to sleep while a game is running on the console.
With this, your console will only be able to enter sleep mode if you activate it manually.
If your console’s power system fails, the PS5 may turn off sporadically. Occasionally this can occur during a power spike.
The first thing you’ll need to look at is the cable. The console uses an IEC C7 power cord . It is a very common cable that was already used in the PS3 and PS4, so you can try to replace it with an equivalent one that you have at home.
If not, you may have a problem with the console’s own power supply . In this case, you will have to process the guarantee or replace it yourself if the term has already expired.
The PlayStation 5 is a huge console because it needs a fairly large heatsink to expel all the thermal energy that is generated in its processor. If you’re gaming and your console shuts down without warning, it may simply be overheating . After all, all computers and electronic devices automatically shut down for safety when exceeding the maximum temperature tolerance. From a series of degrees, all electronic devices turn off without warning so that their internal components are not damaged.
Detecting what may be causing your PS5 to overheat can be a bit tricky. However, we are going to talk about the two most possible scenarios: poor ventilation and malfunction of the dissipation systems.
Try moving the console somewhere else.
The PlayStation 5 needs a constant flow of air in order to cool itself properly. It may happen that we have the console in a living room cabinet, almost boxed in and that it is suffocating by sucking in the same hot air that comes out through its ventilation ducts.
If your console has not had this problem until the summer has arrived, you begin to suspect that the fault could come from here. As a first solution, do the following:
- Power off your console and remove the power cables.
- Let the console cool down for at least an hour.
- Over time, take your PS5 to a place that is well ventilated , and where it can get clean, fresh air.
- Now try to see if the console works correctly.
If your problem has been solved, you will have to find another place to put it. If the problem persists, but you think it’s still an overheating problem, try the following.
Clean the ventilation system
Over time, your PS5 can get dusty . As the vents become saturated, the ventilation of the console begins to be less than optimal. For this reason, the internal temperature of the console rises and can turn off without warning. Any electronic device that has a fan works like a vacuum cleaner. If you have pets at home , your PS5 will almost certainly have quite a bit of hair on its fans.
Luckily, Sony designed the PS5 with great care, and we will be able to clean its ventilation system without having to disassemble the internal components of the console. It will take less than 10 minutes:
- Remove the console base by removing the screw.
- Lift the corner of the faceplate with the PlayStation logo to separate it from the case .
- As you lift the corner, slide the faceplate toward the bottom of the console.
- Remove the left faceplate.
- Use a vacuum cleaner with a wand attachment to suck up dust from the PS5’s vents. The console has a total of two holes in it for this purpose. You will need to put the vacuum cleaner on maximum power to be able to do the process correctly.
- Repeat the steps in reverse to put the cover back in place and reinstall the console base.