WhatsApp has made our lives easier by allowing us to have conversations from anywhere, but it can also be dangerous. The repetition of spam or certain messages can be unpleasant or harmful to us. To stop them, here’s how to report a contact or group on WhatsApp.
How to report a contact
Blocking is not the same as reporting (denounce). If we block, we will simply prevent that person from contacting us; however, through the report we will denounce the behavior of said person so that WhatsApp takes action against him .
To report a contact:
- Open the chat with the contact you want to report.
- Tap the more options icon > More > Report.
- Tap REPORT.
When reporting them, WhatsApp will receive the last five messages you received from that person or group. Do not worry because the reported is not notified . Said subject, or subjects, will not be able to hide the message or information, since the application saves the moment in which the message was sent, be it text, image, video, audio, etc.
It is also possible to report an individual message.
- Tap the message you want to report. A dropdown menu will immediately appear.
- Select report. In addition, the option to block the sender will appear.
Report a single view photo or video
- Open the photo or video you want to report.
- Click on the “more options” icon > Report contact.
Misusing WhatsApp can be a crime
Some reportable practices may lead to WhatsApp deleting the account. Spam is the activity that leads to the most reports, but in its usual practice it is not usually illegal. However, other activities do carry a crime defined in the Penal Code.
Logically, sharing videos of child pornography or sexual videos without prior authorization is a crime for the simple fact of being sent, regardless of whether it is by WhatsApp or not. The same goes for threatening or scamming. Although unlike these atrocities, it is striking that sharing a screenshot or putting a person in a group can also constitute a crime, despite being quite common practices.
Block and unblock a contact
Perhaps you don’t want to report anyone and simply want to block them from interacting with you. This is also possible and does not lead to an investigation by WhatsApp.
- Within WhatsApp, tap the “more options” icon > Settings.
- Tap Account > Privacy > Blocked Contacts
- The blocking menu will appear, from which you can select one or more contacts (or groups) to block.
It is also possible to block in two other ways.
- Tap on “more options” > More > Block > BLOCK.
- From the chat, tap their name and tap Block > BLOCK.
Unblock a contact
On the other hand, if you want to unblock a contact, it is also possible, unless he has blocked you. This will not only allow you to receive their messages and calls, but also see your status updates.
- Tap the more options icon > Settings.
- Tap the name of the contact you want to unblock.
- Tap Unblock [to contact].