One of the best ways to keep our photographs safe or our documents is to opt for cloud storage services. Beyond some hard drives that are always a good idea, making the copy in the cloud can be the most practical, convenient and multi-device. And you won’t have to pay. Today we review all the methods and ways to get more free space in Dropbox and have enough space for photos, files or videos.
You can buy space in Dropbox if you do not have enough with the free gigas offered by the cloud service but you can also bet on ways and methods to get more free space in Dropbox before paying. On a regular basis, you will receive a total of 2 GB for free, although there are temporary promotions or actions that you can take to get something more hollow.
If you just want some more space, there are ways to get it:
Tricks to get more free storage in Dropbox
Complete the checklist
Once you create a Dropbox account then go to the First steps guide in Dropbox and read the different articles. You can earn up to 250 MB in total if you complete the actions requested by this guide. A total of 250 MB more for free that will be automatically added to your profile without expiration date.
In the checklist you will have to complete a series of “missions”:
- Take the guided tour of Dropbox
- Install Dropbox on your computer
- Place files in your Dropbox folder
- Install Dropbox on other computers that you normally use
- Share a folder with your friends or colleagues
- Invite some friends to join Dropbox
- Install Dropbox on your mobile devices
Recommend it to your friends
The best way to get more free space in Dropbox is to have other people join the application. You can get up to 16 GB free of charge, for free, if you have friends or family members install and use Dropbox on their devices. You will not have to pay anything to expand space and this extra space will not expire in your account but you can use it whenever you want.
For every friend you take to Dropbox, you will earn 500 MB. In total, you can have up to 16 GB of free space in Dropbox as a bonus and without payment.
- Sign in to your Dropbox account
- Click on your avatar, at the top of the page
- Choose the option “Settings”
- Click on “Plan”
- Choose the “Invite friends” option
- Enter their names or email addresses
- Click on the blue “Send” button
When you have already sent all the requests to your friends and family, you will only have to wait. The more you send, the more chances you have that many accept and this space adds to yours. The person receiving the invitation will only have to register through your recommendation link and you will both receive a 500 MB space bonus for each one.
If you are waiting to know if they have accepted or not, you can check the status of the invitations or check which friends have registered or which friends have not.
- Sign in to Dropbox
- Click on the avatar at the top of the page
- Go to the Settings option
- Choose “Plan” to continue the process
- Click on “See all the space obtained”
- Go to “Bonus Type”
- Choose the “Recommendation” option
From here you will see four possible states:
- Invitation sent
- Waiting for installation
- Waiting for email verification
Contribute to the Dropbox forum
If you comment on the service forum, you will have the right to gain free space. You can help other members of the community and get likes or get highlighted with your solutions to the questions of others. When you contribute answers or solutions to questions in the forum, you can receive “likes” or other users can mark your comments as useful. In that case, you can be rewarded with the “Powerful Response” badge and that will result in 1 GB more space.
How can you do it? Just join the Dropbox forum.
- Go to the Dropbox Community page
- Choose the option “Help the community”
- Make sure you are logged in
- Search the different issues raised
- Write answers and solutions
- Explain yourself well
- Hope others see your answer as helpful
Offers and temporary promotions
You can pay attention to the news of Dropbox to see if there are offers or initiatives that make you get more space. For example, the company launched years ago the possibility that university students earn up to 25 GB free that they could use for two years at no cost. Right now this is no longer available but it is possible that the service will launch new similar initiatives that you can benefit from to get free space.
You will also find free space promotions with some new devices. There are companies that have Dropbox storage space promotions such as Dell, HP, Pixlr or Upwork. When you buy a device of any of these brands or create an account in these companies, you will be entitled to a free and proportional storage in your Dropbox account.
You can check all the companies and promotions of Dropbox storage space from the company’s help page . To know what to do in each case, you just have to click on the brand you are interested in and enjoy the voucher .
See your active promotions
To find out how much free space you have or how you got it, you can do it from your Dropbox profile. You can see if you have redeemed a promotion or when an active promotion expires, to find out how much space you have or how much you will have.
- Sign in to Dropbox.com
- Click on your profile picture in the upper right corner
- Go to the Settings option
- Click on the Plan tab
- Go to “Get more space”
- You will see a list of all promotions, amount of storage space achieved in each promotion and its expiration date.