When it comes to doing sports, one of the main motivations that push us to continue is to perceive a certain improvement in the way our body handles exercise. Knowing our strengths and weaknesses and setting ourselves new challenges is an essential part of this process. However, sometimes it is not easy to control certain parameters and be aware of factors such as heart rate, breathing or sleep. Needless to say, control our position and monitor our route. This, in addition to what it implies in terms of ignorance of our body, also implies a certain risk of injuries that may appear without the possibility of prevention. When it comes to solving this situation and getting to know our physique better, the solution has a name: sports watch with GPS function.
The market for sports watches has advanced over the years to the point that these devices are now true precision machines when it comes to exercise, capable of adapting to the needs of the user according to the physical activity that they perform. be doing. Both amateurs and professionals entrust a good part of the control of their exercise to these gadgets, some of which include state-of-the-art features.
Main features of sports watches
In addition to the GPS function, there are many other features that can be of great help when exercising and controlling our body in an exact way:
- Heart rate : Using various sensors on the back of your wrist, these watches are able to measure your heart rate and ensure you’re not overexerting yourself. In this way, you will always be able to control your efforts and adapt them to your cardiac capacities at the moment.
- Sports applications : Not all sports need the same parameters. For this reason, sports watches usually include different functions depending on the physical activity that is being carried out. In a simple way, you can tell your watch which sport to do and it will adjust its interface to your needs.
- The workload : When routines are proposed during the week, it is as important not to fall short as not to overdo the exercise. That’s why the ability of these watches to store your efforts each day helps to have a more objective perspective on the workload that can be key when it comes to varying or adjusting your routine.
- The height or the weather situation : For outdoor sports, the weather is a more than important factor. In this sense, sports watches can be of great help if they include functions to know the tides, the height at which the athlete is or the weather forecast. The watch system will receive the information via satellite and display it to the user.
What is GPS?
Apart from other functions, that a sports watch includes GPS is the jewel in the crown. Specifically, the GPS technology that these devices incorporate consists of the user being able to know from his wrist the position in which he is during the exercise. It should be noted that this technology is independent, that is, it is not based on the synchronization of the clock with another device, such as a mobile phone.
This is more complex and therefore more accurate. GPS sports watches use a set of satellites and innovative navigation systems to determine latitude, longitude and altitude, or what is the same, the user’s position. This allows, among other things, to control the route that we have followed and analyze the route and its relationship with the rest of the parameters.
Features to consider
- Water resistance: There are watches prepared to be submerged at great depths, others that can come into contact with water without affecting their operation and some that only withstand splashes or minimal humidity. In this sense, you must be clear about the uses that you are going to give your device to choose the best possible option.
- Battery life: Since the GPS function usually consumes a lot of battery, it is important that before purchasing your watch, you conveniently inform yourself of the exact time that its battery lasts. In this sense, the normal thing is that there are two different durations. One in case the GPS function is not turned on, which implies more autonomy time, and another for when the navigation is working. Estimate how much time you usually spend exercising and estimate if the battery life can be conveniently adjusted to your routine.
- Materials, weight and size: In addition to being functional, a watch must also be comfortable. Therefore, it is important that you carefully review the materials on which it is designed to find the lightest option. The less you feel the watch, the better performance you will get. In this sense, it is also key to know the resistance of the device, especially if we are going to use it for adventure activities, where it will be exposed to shocks. This is especially relevant when it comes to the screen.
The best for everyday
From Topes de Gama we wanted to bring together in a list the best options for sports watches with GPS that the market presents. These are models that have state-of-the-art features and that combine innovation with functionality and ease of use. The list that follows analyzes some of its characteristics and indicates its approximate price.
Garmin Forerunner 245
Endorsed by the Garmin brand, a true benchmark when it comes to sports devices, this watch has seven days of autonomy in smartwatch mode and up to 24 hours in GPS mode. Its functions include the compass, the heart rate sensor on the wrist, the accelerometer and acclimatization by pulse oximetry. Its compact design and subtle line make it an ideal gadget for people who are fond of running who want to keep a much more exhaustive control of their outings. In fact, it is a watch capable of detecting a multitude of parameters and which has enough technology to recommend training sessions, assess your productivity and control your workload. It has profiles for cycling, swimming in a pool, track running, elliptical, climbing and many more and its price is usually around 200 euros.
Delicate and elegant, with a classic black design, the body of the Amazfit GTR 47 is made of precious metals such as titanium, which makes it so light and strong. It is a first class sports watch, submersible up to 50 meters deep and with a built-in high-precision GPS. Capable of tracking various activities such as running, walking, cycling, swimming, mountaineering, trail running, skiing or exercising, it features a BioTrackerTM PPG biological optical sensor and a unique algorithm, developed by Huami, thanks to which it offers frequency control very advanced heart rate at full scale. Despite the level of its benefits, its price ranges between 100 and 120 euros.
The Polar Ignite is a watch that is perfectly suited to fitness activities, swimming, running, cycling and walking. This smart training partner features a one-button interface and includes essentials such as wrist pulse, speed, distance, calorie counter and color touch screen. In addition, the Nightly Recharge technology measures how your body recovers during the night after physical exertion, which in turn helps you program workouts that are more appropriate to your body and condition. With the endorsement of the Polar house, its price is between 150 and 200 euros.
Huawei Watch GT2
It is one of Huawei‘s great bets in the sports market and meets the expectations generated by a product of the technological giant. The GT2 incorporates a 3D glass screen, which is a new step in the smartwatch industry and its 1.39-inch AMOLED screen has a fast and precise response rate that makes it a real gun. Through the synchronization system, you can use it to receive calls during training and in your daily life. It encompasses activities as disparate as running, bicycling, driving, or doing housework. For its part, it has two positioning systems (GPS and GLONASS) to detect more satellites and increase positioning accuracy. Its price fluctuates around 200 euros.
Specials for adventure sports
Despite the fact that all the watches that appear in this article are perfectly suitable for most of the sports activities that we want to carry out, there are some models whose characteristics are specific for risk or adventure sports, in which we will need the maximum performance of their benefits. These are some of the most interesting:
Ruggedly designed to military standards to withstand the elements, this watch also features a high-contrast, sunlight-readable, chemically-reinforced display. In addition to the classic functions such as receiving emails, text messages and alerts directly on the watch when it is linked to a compatible smartphone, what makes this device unique in the market is the location technology it has. Garmin Instinct accesses multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo) for better tracking in the most demanding environments. In this sense, its ABC sensors include an altimeter, barometer and three-axis electronic compass, which will be of great help in scenarios such as the mountains or the sea.
Amazfit T-Rex Pro
Amazfit T-Rex Pro smart watch is a high-end exploration companion, supporting four global satellite navigation systems, blood oxygen saturation measurement system, heart rate monitor, sleep monitor, a weather tracker, a sunrise and sunset monitor, a current moon phase display, compass and barometric altimeter. A number of features that make it a more than interesting option for those who love mountaineering or cross-country swimming. With over a hundred sports modes and a 10 ATM rating, the Amazfit T-Rex Pro sports watch is waterproof to a depth of up to 100 meters. Regarding its price, it is around 150 euros.
As with the vast majority of devices in the technology sector, a product that is cheaper is not necessarily an indicator that it is worse. The price of this type of item often responds to the prestige of the manufacturer or the extra features it incorporates. Therefore, it is not unusual to find really competitive GPS sports watches for a much lower price than other competitors. If what we want is to start doing sports and we don’t need an excessively exact control of our work, these models can be perfect. In addition, it has up to 14 days of autonomy in smart watch mode. Its price is 200 euros.
Taopon Sports Watch
This round smartwatch comes with a 1.28-inch LCD screen that provides incredible color depth and exceptional clarity. It cannot be considered a high-end gadget, although its functionality is absolute. In fact, if it stands out for something, it is for the variety of its features. In this sense, this device can monitor heart rate and blood oxygen in real time as well as act as a sleep monitor. In addition, it includes message reminder, sedentary reminder, stopwatch, music control, weather forecast, and the ability to take remote photos. It is valid for many sports and is also waterproof. It can usually be bought at a price close to 30 euros.
This sports smartwatch has health functions such as heart rate monitor, blood pressure control, sedentary lifestyle control, and breathing improvement. In addition to being able to manage your GPS data through a mobile application, the Prixton SW37 has a SIM slot, Siri voice assistant and remote control of music and photo camera. It is not a completely submersible watch, although it is splash resistant. Its price ranges between 50 and 60 euros.
Equipped with a 1.3” round IPS color touch screen, the exterior of this device is protected by 316L stainless steel and Gorilla Glass, making it a very robust watch. It has more than 20 functions, among which are weather information, chronograph or remote photo shooting. In this sense, the Iowodo can be synchronized with Android/iPhone phones (Android 6.0 and iOS 8.0 above) to become an extension of the mobile phone during exercise. It resists well to water, although it is not submersible. Its price is usually 60 euros.
Apart from the fact that all the watches that appear on this list are devices whose correct operation is more than guaranteed, from Topes de Gama we wanted to narrow down the selection even more and highlight some of them in particular. In this way, among all of them, perhaps the best in terms of performance and efficiency may be the Polar Ignite , an absolutely complete watch for whatever our sport or activity for which we want to use it.
If, on the other hand, our interest goes more towards a watch specifically designed for adventure and bombproof, the choice should focus on the Garmin Instinct . On the other hand, if what we want is a device to control a punctual exercise and familiarize ourselves with this type of watches through a load that is not necessarily professional, none will better mark the entrance to this universe than the Taopon watch.