Today home automation is something that is in most of our homes. From the smart bulbs, the TV, the vacuum cleaner, the speakers and a long and technological etcetera. But of course, if you are still one of those users who has doubts about all this, the best option to get into the world is a smart speaker . And, among the different options, our recommendation is the Echo Dot with Alexa.
The problem, if you are one of those home automation beginners, comes when you enter Amazon and you realize that there is more than one model available. Well, with this article we want to solve your doubts about which Amazon Echo Dot to buy.
Available models of the Amazon Echo Dot
First of all and, of course, the most important thing is that we analyze well what are the different options that we currently have. Specifically, Amazon maintains three different models of the Echo Dot in its catalog:
- 3rd Gen Amazon Echo Dot
- 4th Gen Amazon Echo Dot
- 4th Gen Amazon Echo Dot with Digital Clock
To simplify things, it is important that you bear in mind that the only difference between the latter two is exclusively the digital clock built into its front. Beyond this section, which can be useful to see the time if we have the speaker on the bedside table, everything is identical from the available colors, sound, functionalities and other features.
With that said, looking to discern between the 3rd gen Echo Dot and the 4th gen model, you should take a look at the following comparison table:
|3rd Gen Echo Dot||4th Gen Echo Dot|
|Dimensions||43 x 99 x 99 mm||100mm x 100mm x 89mm|
|Weight||300 grams||328 grams|
|Connectivity||802.11a / b / g / n dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 and 5 GHz)
|Dual band 802.11a / b / g / n / ac Wi-Fi (2.4 and 5 GHz)
|Sound||40mm speaker||41mm speaker|
|Compatibility||Your Alexa app is compatible with Fire OS, Android and iOS devices||App Alexa is compatible with Fire OS, Android and iOS devices|
|What is in the box?||Echo Dot, power adapter (15W) and quick start guide||Echo Dot, power adapter (15W) and Quick Start Guide|
|Available colours||Anthracite, light gray, dark gray and mauve||Anthracite, gray-blue and white|
|Line in / out||3.5mm in / out||3.5mm output|
|Official price||59.99 euros (current discount of 39.99 euros)||59.99 euros|
The first and probably what most catches your attention between one and the other is the difference in design . While the third-generation model has an aesthetic like a circular soap bar, its renovation adopted an almost spherical design. In addition, this fourth edition of the Echo Dot is available in more colors than we can currently buy the third one.
Going to the points that can raise the most doubts, in terms of sound the experience is still similar. In the end, both models are the most “simple” smart speakers in the Amazon catalog. But, even being similar, the more current of the two has a 1.6 ″ speaker for better reproduction of the music and the voices of the assistant or music.
Regarding their functionalities , although we will talk a little more ahead of this, they are exactly the same in the two models. By having Alexa as a virtual assistant, both the 3rd and 4th generation options will have all the capabilities that we find with it. Of course, we have already told you that the version with the integrated clock can be useful in some specific case if you do not want to talk to the assistant to ask for the time.
Although of course, where we do find differences between them is in the price. On the one hand, the Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation, the smallest of all, is at a usual price of 44.99 euros at the moment.
Then, we can take home the 4th generation Echo Dot paying 50.99 euros . And, in the case of this same model but with the digital clock, its cost increases to 69.99 euros . These are the prices that, through the manufacturer, are usually shuffled with these devices. Although, as you will already know if you are a regular buyer of the company of the big A, we can find them with some interesting discount on special days like Black Friday, Amazon Prime Day or during Christmas.
Is the 4th generation Echo Dot worth it?
Surely seeing the few differences between one model and another, this question is the one that is running around your head right now. And, the truth is that the reasons for your purchase are not too abundant.
With this we do not mean that it is a bad purchase option, quite the contrary. But, taking into account the difference in price and that, in addition, you can do exactly the same with one and with the other, it is normal for you to doubt. Here, personally, we see 3 different possible purchase scenarios :
- You want something cheap and with all the Alexa features built in. In this case, the third generation model is the best alternative for you.
- While it is true that the “pickup” design takes up less and even, many could say that it is more aesthetic than its evolution, you may like the spherical design more. Here the perfect one for you is the 4th generation model.
- If you need, or just want it that way, the included digital clock has no choice but to go for the most current model.
What can you do with your Amazon Echo Dot?
Now that you know all the different models of this Amazon smart speaker, it’s time to talk a little more about its functionalities and what you can do with it . Although this is a topic to which we have already dedicated several articles so that you can squeeze all the smart speakers to the fullest, some of the functionalities that you probably use the most are:
- Talk to Alexa : as we have been telling you from the beginning, all Amazon smart speakers arrive with their built-in smart assistant. Just by invoking her by saying “Alexa”, you can ask her about the weather, save different foods on the shopping list, keep track of all your appointments, call someone using the “Drop In” option and a long etcetera.
- Control your TV without using the remote control : if as a complement to this smart speaker you have an Amazon Fire TV, or a screen model with integrated Alexa, you will be able to manage all its functionalities with voice commands. You just have to ask Alexa to turn up the volume, play the next chapter of your favorite series or search for videos on YouTube. Or even if you forgot to turn on the TV before laying down on the couch, you can also do it with a voice command.
- All the music at your disposal : another of the great uses that is often given to these computers is to play content through them. This can range from a song by your favorite artist, an entire album, search for radio stations, play podcasts, and much more.
These are some of the main uses that you can give your new Amazon Echo Dot. Another way to get even more performance is by using Skills , small applications created by developers who seek to further expand the possibilities of these smart speakers. Although this is the subject of another article that we already brought you on our website.