The arrival of cold and snow is for many what they hate the most when it comes to inclement weather. However, it is the most desired for lovers of winter sports such as skiing or snowboarding. If you are one of them, surely you have already made a getaway this year or are planning it. In that case, there is something that has become increasingly essential in this type of trip and that you should not forget to wear or put in your suitcase, your smartwatch. Nowadays, we can find a lot of models, but what should we pay attention to if we are also one of those who like to practice skiing or snowboarding? Keep reading because we tell you everything and we show you some of the most interesting smartwatches for skiing.
A good watch to go snow sports has to be more than just a device that tells us the time. Thanks to the advances in technology, today we find a lot of models with advanced functions that become complete trackers of our activity, health or that allow us to receive all kinds of notifications on the wrist without having to take out the mobile phone. pocket.
Features to keep in mind
Now, when what we are looking for is a smartwatch for skiing or snowboarding, there are certain details that we should take into account, such as:
- Degree of resistance : Bearing in mind that while we practice our favorite sport we can fall or hit the watch abruptly, it is convenient that we choose a model that offers great resistance. Now, it will also be necessary for us to review its ability to resist low temperatures and degree of impermeability.
- GPS: Another essential feature is that it is a watch with integrated GPS. If you also have other geolocation systems such as GLONAS, then much better. This will allow us to know data about our skiing day, such as distance covered, speed, etc., but it will also help us to send our exact location in case of an emergency.
- Altimeter: It is another of the interesting functions when we go up the mountain. From the clock itself we can know with a simple glance the altitude that we are at at all times.
- Weather alerts: The fact that these are sports that are practiced in the middle of winter and at high altitude, any change in the weather can be a problem. Therefore, a watch that includes weather alerts can be of great help. In this way, we will be able to know if a storm, clouds, precipitation, strong wind, etc. are approaching.
- Calls : In order not to have to take the mobile out of the pocket or that the device does not respond due to being at a very low temperature, we can always choose a watch that allows us to use its own SIM. So we can make or receive calls or text messages without having to use the mobile.
- Fall detector : Of course, one of the dangers when we practice risky sports such as skiing or snowboarding are falls or accidents. In this case, a watch with a fall detector and that is capable of notifying the emergency service can be crucial to receive help or a rescue.
- Compass : At any time we can get lost and not know very well where we have to go, especially on those days of low visibility. Therefore, having a smartwatch with a compass can be of great help to us.
- Maps : We also find clocks that allow maps to be loaded or consulted even without the need to have an Internet connection. To be able to move and have control at all times in which part of the ski resort we are, it is a function that can be very interesting.
- Autonomy : Without a doubt, autonomy is always one of the factors to take into account when we are going to buy a smart watch. But in this case, it is essential that it offers us autonomy for several days and that we do not have to worry about running out of it throughout the day.
Watches for skiing or snowboarding
We show you an interesting list of smartwatches ideal for skiing, snowboarding or any other risky sport in the mountains. Choose the one that best suits your needs, tastes and budget.
Garmin Fenix 6 Pro
One of the best smartwatches you can have to go skiing or snowboarding is the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro. A model from the acclaimed American manufacturer, which has TopActive map navigation and includes ski maps from much of the world. A smart watch that withstands everything, making it ideal for enjoying the snow and the mountains. Its price is around 500 euros.
It has a highly resistant body that meets certain military resistance standards, so it is capable of withstanding inclement weather without any problem. This, together with its altimeter, barometer and three-axis compass, makes it a watch for skiing or snowboarding. It also has point-to-point navigation, Trackback function and autonomy of up to 14 days. The price of this Garmin Instinct is approximately 230 euros .
Garmin Fenix 5
Another interesting model from the manufacturer Garmin is the Fenix 5. A watch with GPS and GLONASS, stainless steel bezel and that offers great resistance to all kinds of shocks. It also has an altimeter, TrackBack navigation, thermometer and barometer. A watch for skiing that is priced at 330 euros.
Suunto Core All
We start this compilation with one of the most complete ski smartwatches you can find. We are talking about the Suunto Core All, a device with storm alert, barometer, altimeter, compass and also includes GPS. A watch capable of withstanding temperatures down to -20 degrees Celsius and with a long-lasting battery. Its price is about 150 euros.
Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR
If you are looking for a more vitaminized smartwatch, the Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR will not disappoint you. In this case, we are facing a model that bets on a stainless steel case that will withstand any blow or fall without disheveled. To this, add the different functions it has, such as altimeter, barometer, compass, heart rate monitor, GPS… A watch that is also submersible up to 100 meters and has a price of only approximately 185 euros .
Amazfit Stratos 3
This Amazfit model is a watch that combines GPS, Beidou, GLONASS and Galileo to improve the speed and accuracy of our positioning. A watch with 14 days of autonomy, several sports modes and made of stainless steel, so it offers great resistance to shocks and falls. It is waterproof and has a price of 190 euros.
When we talk about a watch or smartwatch for skiing and we want good performance, there is no doubt that the Garmin Fenix 6 Pro is the best choice. A model with a lot of pre-installed sports modes, among which we find the Nordic ski log to show the metrics of each descent.
Among all its functions, we must highlight the one that allows us to have the maps of the ski resorts of a large part of the world so that we never get lost in any resort. Forget about paper maps and record all your activity during a day of skiing. Automatically, the timer itself is capable of stopping automatically when you finish going down or when you get on the chairlift, so that at the end of the day, we can see exactly what we have skied.