The cameras allow you to record videos in exceptional quality, however, many do not have a really good stabilization system that offers a smooth image without sudden movements. To go one step further in this section we have the market video stabilizers or commonly known as gimbal. These are in charge of making our camera, be the device that allows to point to a fixed point and smooth unwanted vibrations that occur when moving. The big problem with these gadgets is that they are not entirely cheap, so we have put together a list of the best value for money models on the market to help you.
As we have seen, there are a variety of stabilizers on the market, and most have similar features and prices . It is normal that you are left with the doubt of which cheap gimbal to buy, for this we list some things that you must take into account to make the best purchase decision. We have summarized in a series of key points, what are the recommended features for these devices.
First of all … what are gimbals really?
It is an electronic device that works as a camera support, and which allows the rotation of an object on its axes without producing vibrations, in short, it is a stabilizer . A more or less complex mechanism , which allows the object that is attached or connected to it not to be influenced by the movements of the element that supports it, but to remain stable at all times .
Perhaps one of the gadgets that professionals use most to achieve that extra quality result , both in film images and in extreme sports, where impacts, jumps, camera changes are constant.
And what characteristics should it have?
- Design: It is a product that you will surely transport with you so its size and weight will be key. Its grip handle can also be a point to look at if you’re going to be spending long periods of time handling it.
- Controls: The buttons or control system you have will be an important point in the experience of this device.
- Modes: Whether or not it has different operating modes such as blocking, tracking or panning, which we will explain in more detail below.
- Movement on axis: You will have to take into account if it is capable of making all kinds of turns . If they are able to move horizontally, vertically or both.
- Battery: You will have to be aware of the autonomy that the chosen gadget gives you.
- Compatibility: A gimbal that works only for a brand or for a specific device is not the same, since there are some that are multi- device.
- Software: Some have apps that give an extra value to the stabilizer and that are in many cases an extra value that influences their purchase.
Most used technical movements
Although each model changes in terms of software and options, we review the operation in general and the different modes they allow.
- Lock mode. It will point in an exact direction , even if we move. You can rotate the arm as much as you want and the phone will be fixed on an axis.
- Tracking mode. It will follow an object or face that you have previously selected. It is an ideal way to record sports, races or any activity with fast movements.
- Pan. With this video technique we will ensure that the camera only moves on a horizontal or vertical axis . For example, we will be able to record everything around us on the same axis, without moving, in places where there are many people, such as soccer stadiums or concerts
Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus
This stabilizer for smartphones, has 3 axis of movement, has the wheel axis direction fully 600 degrees , horizontal axis and tilt of 320 degrees, it can effectively reduce screen movement and provide stable images. It has sports modes, with high sensitivity and excellent stability. It also has a long-lasting battery.
Dji Osmo Mobile 3
With a three-axis stabilization mechanism that eliminates vibrations, Osmo Mobile 3 will guarantee you clear and incredibly smooth recordings. Its lightweight and ultra sensitive design.
Feiyutech Vimble 2A
This stabilizer for sports cameras, has something very unique and is that it looks like a common selfie stick, but it hides a 3-axis gimbal, which mixes comfort and stabilization to be able to make the best reports.
Wench Mini S
This MOZA-S gimbal uses a tool-free tuning algorithm, which can quickly configure the gimbal and balance all 3 axes, without much intervention saving time and effort to achieve a cinematic result.
Rollei Steady Butler Mobile 2
This Rollei allows smooth recordings from smartphones. Ideal to smooth your videos in vertical format for impressive Instagram stories. With the help of the application, the subject always remains in the image. It has smart features like Face Tracking and Object Tracking automatically align the phone.
The WEEBILL-S easily manages conventional DSLR / SLR camera and lens combinations. Thanks to its great lightweight body and unique sling mode, it offers an incomparable effortless recording experience. With its updated algorithm and more powerful motors, an intelligent ViaTouch 2.0 system, the WEEBILL-S takes cinematography even further.
Dji Ronin-Sc Pro
The Ronin-SC is designed to take you anywhere and opens up new possibilities for filmmakers and content creators in almost any situation. Made of high strength magnesium, aluminum and composite materials, it offers great performance weighing just 1.1 kg. The Ronin-SC, taking up little space thanks to its modular design, can be easily transported and prepared quickly.
Hohem Isteady Pro 2
We return to economic stabilizers, this one from the Hohem brand, is one of the best options for its quality / price ratio. It has a system of 4 modes of movement. In addition, the waterproof design makes it ideal for the use of sports cameras such as the Go Pro.
Zhiyun Smooth 4
Zhiyun smooth 4 is specially designed for fluid video and image smartphones. With direct steering wheel control and hot keys on the panel, you will easily take outstanding photos, creative videos and have a pleasant recording experience.
Feiyutech Vlog Pocket
This mini stabilizer for smartphones, features a folding eagle-shaped design makes it small and portable. Just put the VLOGpocket in your pocket and vlog anywhere, anytime.