One of the programs that cannot be missing from our computer is a PDF reader. It is currently essential software, since this type of file has been gaining great popularity for years and is characterized by the fact that it never loses its shape, whether we download it from a website or send it to other people. Although the best known and used is Adobe Reader, the truth is that it is not usually the best option, and you can find better alternatives. One of them is PDF-XChange Viewer , which we will talk about next.
PDF files are characterized by being able to incorporate different elements such as forms, signatures, texts, graphics, audio, videos and bookmarks, as well as the possibility of being able to link to web pages. For its visualization and subsequent treatment, we can opt for various programs such as the one we are going to talk about.
Features of PDF-XChange Viewer
Hand in hand with Tracker Software , we are talking about a powerful application that we can use both as a viewer and as an editor for PDF files. And it is that this program is much more than a simple PDF viewer since it has many interesting functions. For example, such as the possibility of speeding up the loading of heavy PDF documents, incorporating a tool such as optical character recognition (OCR). This allows us to extract content from PDF documents (text and images), the possibility of inserting text in the documents and extracting entire pages , and can also convert PDF to images (BMP, JPEG, TIFF or PNG).
It is therefore an ideal application to add annotations and encrypt documents . Likewise, it allows us to create PDF directly from scanned images or text files compatible with Office. With this tool it will be possible to create and convert PDF files to other formats, as well as create, edit, view, annotate and digitally sign the files. In addition, it allows you to attach and add personalized signatures and stamps to each image or PDF format and even to the Windows clipboard.
Differences between the free version and the PRO version
When using PDF-XChange Viewer we can opt for a free version to test the product, as well as acquire the PRO version license with which we can take advantage of all the features that it incorporates. The main differences that we can find between both functions are the following:
- FREE : With the free version we get 3D PDF support, 3D PDF measurement annotation tools, PDF/UA accessibility checker, document content tagging support, adding document information (metadata), and adding audio comments. It also allows you to add images and signatures to pages of PDF files, as well as add edit and modify bookmarks. Another option is to add shapes and objects to PDF pages, add URL links, add barcodes and comments, check spelling and create stamps.
- PRO : With the paid version, in addition to including the features of the free version, it also allows us to add overlays, watermarks, headers, footers, pages from one PDF file to another PDF file. It also allows us to add and delete content, reorder layers, adjust the resolution and scale of documents and carry out the automatic creation of bookmarks. Furthermore, it allows batch conversion, combining files into a single document, converting images or text to PDF, as well as deleting, rotating and cropping pages. Currently its price is 55 euros .
As we can see, the free version has enough features to test the application and carry out different types of tasks. In case you need to make the most of all its available resources, we should go on to opt for its PRO version.
how to download free
PDF-XChange Viewer has a free evaluation version for private and commercial use. This will be possible as long as it is not bundled with other software for financial gain. When using this program in evaluation mode, many menu items are marked with a PRO symbol, indicating that they are licensed features. With the commercial version these functions can be used, but watermarks will be included at the time of export. We can download it from the developer’s website .
The application is compatible with the Microsoft operating system, for any version between Windows XP and Windows 11. Another thing to keep in mind is that it has different download options. From their website we can be about to download an EXE installation file, an MSI network installation file, as well as a portable version . With this version it won’t be necessary to install it on the PC and we can run it from any external device such as a hard drive, flash drive or memory card. Also, it supports both 32-bit and 64-bit system.
Get started with PDF-XChange Viewer
Once we run the program we are going to find its main interface that has a simple and even a bit archaic appearance. This is a bit far from other designs that are more visually appealing but equally effective and practical. To start, simply drag and drop any file on its interface or click on its interface. One of the things that will catch our attention the most is that it works lightly without slowing down the computer, being able to work with several documents at the same time through tabs
The application shows all the tools that we may need at the top of the screen. This allows us to have enough space for the document. It also lets you customize the default layout to minimize clutter, and even features a dropdown menu where you can choose which tools you want to display on the toolbar. With this, you can eliminate the functions that we do not always use.
For example, within the Document section, we have available the Signature function and OCR pages that are available for the free version. In case of having the PRO version we will also be able to have access to insert, extract, crop and rotate pages, as well as attach a file. In the Comments tab, we can display, import and export comments in the free version, as well as collect and delete them in its PRO version.
Finally, in the Tools section we will find all kinds of utilities divided into categories such as:
- Basic tools : hand, snapshot and selection.
- Zoom : zoom in, zoom out and magnifying glass.
- Comments and marks : stamps, notes, text, highlight, cross out and underline text, add polygons, arrows, clouds, etc.
- Measurement : distance, perimeter, area, etc.
- Links : link editor.
It is also worth mentioning that in the search box at the top it has its own search engine with direct access to Google, Yahoo!, Wikipedia, etc. From here we will be able to search for additional information without having to leave the application. Furthermore, we can export our PDF documents to an image, which allows us to save our files as BMP, JPEG, TGA, GIF and TIFF.
Other alternatives available
If we are looking for an application with which we can view and edit our PDF documents, we can also opt for some of the following alternatives to PDF-XChange Viewer:
- PDF BOB : free online editor for PDF that we can use from any web browser, with which we can add text to our documents, as well as annotations.
- Sedja PDF : editor that allows us to sign, add or change text, insert images, create links, hyperlinks and make all kinds of annotations.
- PDFscape Editor : simple application with which we can manage and edit our PDF files comfortably and quickly, both images and texts.
- PDFsam Basic : Free and open source tool with which we can edit our PDF files. split, merge, extract pages, and rotate documents easily.