Regional lockdown is a limitation that has existed on consoles since almost the beginning of time. For various reasons, game console manufacturers usually establish a series of rules that limit some games depending on the country where we are.
- Why is there a regional lock on consoles?
- If PS5 is Region Free, why do I still have limits?
- How to change the console Region
- How to use a VPN to buy games not available for PS5
- Prerequisites before buying from another PS Store
- Buying process and warnings about DLC compatibility
Why is there a regional lock on consoles?
As with streaming platforms, the fact that multimedia content reaches your hands means a complex universe of agreements and licenses . Most of the time that a video game or a television series is not on the platform of your country, it is due to this cause.
However, historically there have been many other reasons . Many studios are not profitable translating some titles that are barely going to be sold in Europe or America. The regional blockade is very useful in those cases, because they make sure that nobody will be able to distribute the video game in a market in which it will not be successful.
If PS5 is Region Free, why do I still have limits?
In the past, consoles were limited by firmware. Those were other times, and there were technologies such as the PAL system in Europe and the NTSC in the United States that really posed a physical barrier when playing the video game on your living room console.
Globalization gradually eased these impediments. The PlayStation 5 was advertised almost from the beginning as a region free console. This means that Sony cannot prevent you from inserting into your console a game physically purchased in Japan and whose title is only distributed in the land of the Rising Sun.
And we return to the initial problem. The limitation does not exist in terms of physical games , but it does occur on the PlayStation Store . To comply with its agreements, Sony limits us access to applications that are not available in our home country. Otherwise, the company would expose itself to all kinds of demands from its collaborators.
How to change the console Region
This first step will prepare your PS5 to be able to bypass Sony’s regional lockdown. The process is as follows and you will have it in just a few minutes:
- Turn on your PlayStation and select “New User”. Follow the steps to create a new user and accept the EULA.
- When asked if you already have a PSN account, select ” Create an Account .”
- Mark the region of the Store you want to use . Tip: If you select a country where you do not speak the language at all, such as Japan, prepare your mobile with the Google Translate app in camera mode.
- Fill in the data related to the language, date of birth and other user information that is requested.
- When asked for your location , search Google Maps for a landmark in that city to enter the street, number and zip code. Normally, a hotel is chosen so as not to cause inconvenience to any individual.
When you open the PlayStation Store, you will be able to access the catalog for that country. You will be able to download apps, but you will not be able to buy video games yet.
How to use a VPN to buy games not available for PS5
As you already know, setting limits on the Internet is more absurd than setting doors to the field. Enjoying PlayStation 5 games that are not available in your region (or that have not yet been released in your country) is not really complicated, much less illegal. But obviously Sony has to prevent everyone from doing it.
Once you have completed the step that we have explained in the previous section, you will need to use a VPN to be able to bypass the blockade.
What is VPN and why do I need it? Is there any free?
Its acronym stands for “virtual private network”. This increasingly popular technology serves to camouflage the position from which we connect to the network. We will use our Internet connection to connect to a server that will publicly give us your IP. You will not have to leave your home in Spain, but the whole world will see that you are sailing from Boston, to mention an example.
Most VPN services are very cheap and we can only hire them for the time that we are going to use them. You should avoid free ones, as they are especially slow and are often highly questioned for how they manage user privacy .
Prerequisites before buying from another PS Store
In the purest ” Among Us ” style, the PlayStation Store payment gateway will detect you as an imposter if you use a credit or debit card from your country to pay at the foreign store. You will need a much more subtle medium, so if you don’t want to complicate your life too much, PayPal will be your best ally. The secret will be kept and you can even pay with your card through said platform.
However, there are more ways to dodge. You can buy a gift card or gift card PS Store you want to use. There are a large number of stores on the Internet that sell this type of prepaid media. It is as simple as acquiring the card of the country we have chosen and redeeming the code in the PS Store.
Using the VPN
Once we are clear about the procedure, we will have to connect our PS5 console to the VPN . To do this, you will have to follow these steps:
- Go to the Settings of your PS5 and enter Network Settings .
- Select the connection method you are using (LAN or Wi-Fi) and go to Advanced Settings .
- Set your IP address to “Automatic”. Under “Host Name”, check “Do not specify”.
- Now you can set a DNS manually . Click and type the address that your VPN provider has given you.
- Set the MTU to Automatic .
- Accept the changes and the console will automatically connect to the Internet through the VPN. Once the procedure is done, restart the PS5.
There is another easier way if you have unlimited data on your mobile . Install the VPN service on your smartphone and create a hotspot network with it. Connect the PS5 to the Wi-Fi network that your mobile is creating and you will have quickly carried out the procedure. Of course, remember that the download you make will be done through the data connection of your mobile terminal, so this last method is not recommended if you are going to download very heavy games or if you have a fee of few gigs.
Buying process and warnings about DLC compatibility
If you have completed all the steps correctly, you will now have complete freedom to move around any PS Store. You can download applications not available in your country and buy video games that do not exist in your local store , always paying with PayPal or with a card or code redeemable from the PS Store of the country in question.
Finally, it is very important that you know that despite all this procedure, the DLC will continue to have a limitation . In order to install a DLC to a game that you have already downloaded to your console, you will have to use the same account with which the title was originally purchased and it must come from the same region . If you combine a Spanish game with an American DLC to save a few euros, rest assured that it will not work and you will lose your money.